Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
I want to be justified in my anger. I want to make excuses for times when I get frustrated in the moment but the truth is there is no excuse or justification. I know that but in the moment when I choose anger over a gentle answer I set that aside on my "Jesus" Shelf and climb up to the "Me" shelf. The "Me" shelf promotes my impatience and frustration. The "Me" shelf allows me to say to my daughter I'm frustrated that you're not getting this. Just understand that you should do this instead of this. That's not walking with her. That's pointing the finger at her and her sin.
What I desire in the situation is to redirect her to a better thinking. To show her how to apply the love that Jesus gives us to those around her. That means when she doesn't feel like loving her brother because of the actions he's taken that Jesus has asked her to love anyways and to show her how to go about that. I want her to know that even in her feeling mad and angry at her brother that I want to say I love you and desire to be by your side to help you through the situation. I don't want her to feel like I am angry at her because she is failing to love Ricky and chooses to use harsh words instead of a gentle answer. I simply want to show her how to use a gentle answer and the benefits that it reaps instead of a harsh word.
No comments:
Post a Comment