I've noticed lately about how much I have stressed about doing parenting the right way. I've been trusting in my ability and standards rather than walking in the trust that Jesus will use me to work in my kid's lives. If I trust in my own standards of parenting then I will for sure fail.
The biggest responsibility I feel as a parent is getting to my kid's hearts. I don't want to just correct their behaviors, I want to get down to the core of their feelings behind those behaviors. I want them to understand their feelings and help them pick out the bad ones and understand the good ones. I want to direct their thoughts and behaviors into an understanding of their need for a Savior. And that no matter what they say, think, or do that they will always be loved but also understand the need for correction.
We have been created in the Image of God and He will never leave nor forsake us. God is constant, I am not. That's what I want my kids to understand as they grow. But being able to put all that into a 4 and 5 year old's level seems so daunting to me at times. That I can't do it, that I'll mumble it all up and make them even more confused. But then I have to remind myself that yes, if it was me on my own I would totally mess it up, yet I have the Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me in everything I do. I believe it's taking those baby steps towards understanding who God is, both for myself and for my kids. As my kids grow and understand who God is I want that understanding to come from God because true wisdom comes from God.
Yes, my husband and I will be the primary voice in their life that can lead them to Godly wisdom or away from Godly wisdom but that stress that I feel over this is just me trying to control it rather than trusting God with it. I want to be mindful of these things but not control it. Controlling all that leads to a misunderstanding of who they are in Christ. I want to walk with them as they grow and mature into their faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment